Emergency: Dial 911
125 Main Street
Bridgeport, NJ 08014
Firearms Application Process
updated April 23, 2021
Effective March 4, 2019, the Logan Township Police Department began accepting all firearms applications electronically via the New Jersey State Police Firearms Application & Registration System (FARS) as required by New Jersey Attorney General’s Directive 2016-4. Recently, Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards and Permits to Purchase a Handgun were transitioned from the older style paper or carbon copy cards and permits to being electronically issued and managed.
Effective October 1, 2020, all approved applications for a Permit to Purchase a Handgun will generate an ePermit. These ePermits are valid as soon as your FARS application is approved by the Chief of Police. Firearms dealers access the ePermit with the applicant’s date of birth and State Bureau of Identification (SBI) number at the time of transfer. Please note, the automated confirmation email you’ll receive is NOT an ePermit. There is nothing to access until the time you physically purchase and transfer ownership of a firearm from a dealer.
Effective April 1, 2021 applicants will be able to download and print the Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (E-FID) from the approval email you receive from the FARS system. E-FID applicants will NOT have to appear at our office to retrieve any firearms documents. The ONLY reason you may have to appear at your Issuing Police Department is to pay a fee or complete some specific request made by a background investigator. Applicants will have access to the E-FID for up to a year. They may print it, save it, screen shot etc. and a dealer will accept any version of it. All old FID cards are still valid.
Please carefully read this information for assistance with processing your application. The FARS system is used to apply for the following:
- Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
- Must be 18 years old
- Allows purchase of unrestricted number of long guns (rifles, shotguns, etc.)
- No expiration
- Permit to Purchase a Handgun
- Must be 21 years old
- Allows purchase of a handgun (one handgun per permit, and only one handgun may be purchased every 30 days)
- Each ePermit expires 90 days after date of issue. Any ePermit that is not executed in that time period will be automatically extended for an additional 90 days unless the Logan Township Police Department manually deactivates the extension
- Replacement for lost, stolen, or mutilated Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
- Change of address, sex, or name on Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
To access FARS and apply for any of the above, follow these steps:
Visit the New Jersey State Police FARS website: www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars
Enter the ORI (originating agency identifier) number for Logan Township Police Department:
Select the option you wish to apply for and complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer.
Follow the instructions provided by the system and the subsequent notifications sent to you.
Tips for Success
- The online application is applicant driven, so be sure that you provide accurate personal identifiers, telephone numbers, and email addresses. You will receive automated updates throughout the process. Inaccurate information, especially email addresses, will prevent successful approval of your application.
- Gather your information and have it available before beginning the application.
- You are required to provide contact information for two personal references who can speak as to your character. Inform your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Please advise them to complete the questions in a timely manner in order to progress your background investigation.
- All first-time applicants must be fingerprinted by the NJSP designated contractor. Information regarding fingerprinting is included in the automated confirmation email sent to you by the system after submitting your application.
- If you are required to be fingerprinted, you must do so within ninety days of submitting your application. Failure to do so will result in your application being purged, and you will have to begin the process over.
- If you have already been fingerprinted for firearms purposes in New Jersey, you will need to include your State Bureau of Identification (SBI) number in the application process. Your SBI number is six numbers and one letter (example: 123456A) and can be found on the front of your NJ Firearms Purchaser Identification Card.
- If you are having technical or payment-related issues, contact the New Jersey e-Government Services Help Desk at 609-586-2600
- If you have any other questions, please contact our Administrative Office at 856-467-0061 during normal business hours.