Make Sure Your Kids Know
- How to call 911 or “0” in emergencies, and how to use a public phone. Help them practice making emergency phone calls. Be sure emergency numbers–police, fire, poison control and emergency medical–are by all phones.
- Their full name, address, and phone number (including the area code), plus your work phone number. If you have a cellular phone and/or beeper, teach your children these numbers as well.
- How to walk confidently and stay alert to what’s going on around them.
- To walk and play with friends, not alone.
- To refuse rides or gifts from anyone, unless it’s someone both you and your child know and trust.
- To tell a trusted adult immediately if anyone, no matter whom, touches them in a way that makes them feel uncomfortable.